Thursday, May 29, 2008

Motivation

Dear all,

During my 10km run today, I was thinking alot. I wonder what is it that makes a true runner. 2 days ago, I trained with Mr Fazly. The regime was tough. We did 1600m sets (3 sets). In between, we did 200metres sets. The sets maintained at a pace at around 29 seconds per 200m. I managed to finish the workout but with alot of pain.

After the workout, I looked at myself in the mirror and asked myself why am I doing all these. I knew the answer.

One reason I run is because I love the idea of the “journey.” Like life, running is a journey, not a destination. I enjoy running because it provides me an opportunity to spend time with friends in a physically and mentally productive way. I run because I love seeing the world outside my door. But most importantly, I run because, like life, it presents the chance to defeat, however briefly, my most formidable opponent – myself.

For me, running reaffirms the notion that success, in any aspect of life, is not to be measured by comparing ourselves to others, but by comparing who we are and who we could become if we approach each challenge with enthusiasm and determination.

I do this because I want to feel alive. And I appreciate what nature had given me. A pair of legs that can carry me far.

I do this for people who are less fortunate (Disabled) and are unable to do what I am doing. I am doing it as a gesture of appreciation and fully utilise what I have. I do not wish to take my legs for granted and not train.

I do this because I do not procrastinate. I appreciate my coach, my training partners and those who train with me.

Last of all, till my final breath, I know I had tried my best in every training and every run. And I have no regrets.

Perhaps its time for us to think why we train. Maybe you'll discover more reasons to push yourself. : )

Always Running. Always Sprinting. Always Bounding.
- Coach

No comments: