Thursday, January 29, 2009

Departure

Dear Team NV:

As many you know, I will be departing the team soon. Primarily, I do not have much of a choice as I am not posted to your school. As such, I am not allowed to coach you anymore.

For the past year, I hope you had learnt something from me. To be a good athlete, you must remember to respect others, your seniors and always persevere. Do not give up easily and enjoy the sport.

Back when I was in Victoria when I was your age, I was deprived of a chance to run as the school "reserved" running spots. Even when I excelled better than the school runners, it was not sufficient. I was bitter, but I did not give up. Many of the so-called good runners were of no match to me. And many of them did not even carry on running. They ran for fame and the namesake. I ran for passion. That is the difference. I want all of you to run for passion. And trust me, this passion will carry you far.

In North Vista, it is different. If you are committed, you will be in the team. The teachers and coaches will always support you.

Remember what I had taught you. All the drills and the different techniques in running. Running is an art. If people tell you that running is just about doing sets and clocking mileage, they are wrong. It is about attaining a good posture, technique. Once you had mastered the technique, people will respect you and you will better understand the sport too.

As I had always believed, life is short. Running makes it longer. There are many people who wish to run. But are unable. There are people who are born with perfect limbs, but choose not to run. You have to make a choice. You only live ONCE. Keep running. Keep going. And never give up. As I had never given up too.

One day, whatever you had learnt about running will serve you well. Punctuality, respect, perserverence, care and concern, mental resilience and teamwork.

Remember, one team, one race, one soul, one heart, team NV.

- Coach

No comments: